8 pages due in 16 hours | HHS 320 Cultural Awareness in the Human Services | Ashford University
The final assignment for this course is a Research Paper. The purpose of the Research Paper is for you to culminate the learning achieved in the course.
Focus of the Research Paper
For your Research Paper, select one aspect of cultural diversity from the following list that you would like to study:
* (For improved memory and increased awareness, remember the mnemonic, GARREACS.)
- Sexual Orientation
Once you have chosen one aspect of cultural diversity to study in depth, prepare a Research Paper with the following components:
- Summarize the pertinent historical, political, social, economic and cultural factors related to your chosen aspect of diversity.
- Consider and summarize any relevant developmental theory models related to your chosen aspect of diversity.
- In regard to your chosen aspect of diversity, identify and evaluate the relevant laws or programs that have either helped or restricted access to care and support.
- Evaluate how your chosen aspect of diversity, in combination with two other aspects of diversity, can lead to increased needs or issues. For example, if someone is female, African American, and lesbian, will there be additional challenges? Select any combination of 3 aspects of diversity to discuss.
- Describe at least two resources currently available in your area for someone needing special services related to your chosen aspect of diversity.
- Explain how your personal characteristics will either complement or conflict with this diversity issue. Consider your own biases and prejudices or those of your family of origin.
- Discuss relevant concerns, cautions or insights necessary for you to be a culturally competent human service professional.
Writing the Research Paper
The Research Paper:
- Must be eight- to ten double-spaced pages in length, and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must begin with an introductory paragraph that has a succinct thesis statement.
- Must address the topic of the paper with critical thought.
- Must end with a conclusion that reaffirms your thesis.
- Must use at least seven scholarly sources.
- Must document all sources in APA style, as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a separate reference page, formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.