Assignment 1: operation stop hack
Suppose you have recently responded to your first computer forensic incident. The case in question involves a potential underground hacking ring, which the police, working in conjunction with the Federal Bureau of Investigation have been investigating for several years. It has since been determined that an IP address confirms that location, and the identity of one of the suspects. Warrants have been issued for search and seizure of all electronic devices found on the premises.
The following picture depicts the setup found in the suspect’s home. Your job is to document your findings and secure all relevant evidence.
Write a paper of no less than three to five pages in which you:
- Investigate the legal statutes involved in this type of case, and outline specific legal consideration to take when collecting evidence.
- Preplan how to approach the crime scene, documenting the steps and procedures to process the digital evidence
- Analyze the crime scene diagram, document and tag each device that will be collected for evidence, specifying the importance of each device.
- Use no less than three quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- This course requires use of new Strayer Writing Standards (SWS). The format is different than other Strayer University courses. Please take a moment to review the SWS documentation for details.
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow SWS or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Discuss and explain the means of investigating trademark and copyright infringement, sexual harassment incidents, and child pornography and laws concerning those incidents.
- Analyze data acquisition methods and significance of data duplication.
- Demonstrate the ability to develop a forensic investigation plan to address an organizational need.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in computer forensics.
- Write clearly and concisely about Computer Forensic Technology topics using proper writing mechanics and technical style conventions.