Business statistics problem | Business & Finance homework help
There are a total of 4 problems. this is for a business statistics class.
1. 4.4 Suppose that a couple will have three children. Letting B denote a boy and G denote a girl:
a. Draw a tree diagram depicting the sample space outcomes for this experiment.
b. List the sample space outcomes that correspond to each of the following events:
(1) All three children will have the same gender.
(2) Exactly two of the three children will be girls.
(3) Exactly one of the three children will be a girl.
(4) None of the three children will be a girl.
c. Assuming that all sample space outcomes are equally likely, find the probability of each of the events given in part b.
2. 4.20 John and Jane are married. The probability that John watches a certain television show is .4. The probability that Jane watches the show is .5. The probability that John watches the show, given that Jane does, is .7.
a. Find the probability that both John and Jane watch the show.
b. Find the probability that Jane watches the show, given that John does.
c. Do John and Jane watch the show independently of each other? Justify your answer
3. Chapter Five
5.12 Suppose that the probability distribution of a random variable x can be described by the formula
p(x) = x/15
for each of the values x= 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5. For example, then, P(x=2) = p(2) = 2/15.
a. Write out the probability distribution of x.
b. Show that the probability distribution of x satisfies the properties of a discrete probability distribution.
c. Calculate the mean of x.
d. Calculate the variance o2, and the standard deviation, ox.