Clinical field experience | foundation literacy skills
Due to the pandemic and limited availability to a mentor teacher and students, I will be providing optional alternative directions for the CFE. If you can complete the CFE as originally designed, please do so!
Allocate at least 2 hours in the field to support this field experience.
Part 1: I Do, We Do, You Do Observation
For this field experience, you will observe your choice of a Grade K-8 class(es) during the introduction of a new literacy concept. Due to the current circumstances with the co-vid 19 pandemic, you can use video observations to complete this assignment. You may need to watch more than one video to fulfill the 2 hours. When completing your assignment, you can base it off one video, or a synthesis of all. It is up to you!
During your observation(s), take notes on the teacher’s instruction and complete the “I Do, We Do You Do Template” to identify the methods used when introducing the new concept in literacy. Not all teachers will use the same model, but do your best to identify the IWY components observed in the lesson plan. If the teacher does not use the IWY strategy, then explain his or her teaching strategy.
Part 2: Teacher Collaboration
While observing the literacy lesson, reflect on these questions. (No written response needed for Part 2)
- What instructional methods did they use when introducing and teaching a new concept in literacy?
- Does their model include direct instruction, guided practice, and independent work?
- What strategies did they use to create class interaction and discussion?
- Did they show examples of how to differentiate for your students?
- How did they assess their students’ understanding of new concepts being taught?
- How did they accommodate the engagement and understanding of atypical students?
- When and where did they find the most gaps when introducing a new concept in literacy?
- What where their reflections on the overall degree of effectiveness of your model for teaching new concepts in literacy?
- How did they seek professional opportunities to improve instructional practices in the area of literacy?
Part 3: Reflection
In 250-500 words, summarize and reflect upon the observations and reflection about the instructional strategies that were implemented during the literacy lesson(s). Explain how you will use your findings in your future professional practice.
Submit the “I Do, We Do, You Do,” template and reflection as one deliverable.
APA format is not required, but solid academic writing is expected.
This assignment uses a rubric. Review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. Refer to the LopesWrite Technical Support articles for assistance.
Please include a link to videos used for this assignment. (It does not need to be in APA). Also, be sure to stay true to the two hours of CFE hours!
PLEASE STAY TRUE TO THE 2 HOURS OF CFE TIME! You can include the time to research, watch videos, interview a teacher, etc.
If using these directions, please note that I will sign your CFE verification form AT THE END OF THE COURSE…one form for ALL hours!