Course project | Applied Sciences homework help
1. Conduct an audit of the following safety management system elements at your organization, or at an organization
with which you are familiar and for which you have access to the required information:
1. Management Leadership 3.1 5, 6
2. Occupational Health and
BOS 3651, Total Environmental Health and Safety Management 4
3. Responsibility and
4. Employee Participation 3.2 5
5. Initial and Ongoing
4.1, 4.1.1, 4.1.2 7
6. Assessment and
4.2 8, 9, 10
7. Hierarchy of Controls 5.1.1 12
8. Design Review 5.1.2 13
9. Management of Change 5.1.2 15
10. Procurement 5.1.3 16
11. Emergency Preparedness 5.1.5 11
12. Education, Training, and
13. Monitoring and
14. Incident Investigation 6.2 18
15. Audits 6.3 19
16. Corrective and Preventive
17. Feedback to the Planning
18. Management Review 7.1, 7.2 20
Some suggested sources for the objective evidence to support your evaluation:
Documents: organizational safety manuals and instructions, Safe Operating Procedures, and Job
Records: emails or letters from management to employees, safety meeting minutes, mishap logs, audit
reports, OSHA citations, inspection reports, risk assessments, and training records;
Interviews: management personnel, supervisors, and employees; and
Observation: walk through some workplaces to observe conditions for yourself.
2. For each management system element, discuss the objective evidence you found (or were unable to find).
Evaluate the effectiveness of the organization’s implementation of each element against available reference
sources and best practice information. Use the following five-tier evaluation scheme to rate each element:
World Class: OHS Performance
Strong: Conforming/complete, may have minor gaps with action plans
Moderate: Scattered non-conformances need to be addressed, positive trends/major elements in place
Significant Non-Conformances Exist: still needs focus
Major Effort Required: major or systemic non-conformances exist
Appropriate references include the course textbook, textbooks from other college-level courses, ANSI/AIHA Z10-2005,
other published consensus standards (ANSI, ASSE, AIHA, ISO, NFPA, etc.), OSHA standards and voluntary guidelines,
and articles published in professional journals. Blogs, Wikipedia, About.com, Ask.com, and other unmonitored Internet
resources are not considered scholarly references and should not be used. Please contact your professor if you have any
questions about the appropriateness of a reference source.
3. If an element is found to be less than World Class, provide recommendations for improvement. Be sure to use
appropriate scholarly reference sources to support your recommendations.
4. Conclude the audit report with a summary of the overall status of the organization’s safety management system.
The Course Project must be a minimum of seven pages, and a maximum of 10 pages, not including the title, abstract, and
reference pages. A minimum of five professional references/sources must be used. Follow APA formatting for the paper,
as well as for all references and in-text citations.