Course reflection | Culture in Nursing | Florida National University
The purpose of this assignment is to provide the student an opportunity to reflect on selected RN-BSN competencies acquired through the NUR3655 course.
This assignment provides documentation of student ability to meet the following course outcomes:
– This course will enable the student to identify and apply components of the different cultures (ACCN Essential I, II, V, VII; QSEN: safety, evidence-based practice, teamwork and collaboration and patient-centered care).
– The students will be able to determine the impact of culture in health care (ACCN Essential I, II, V, VII; QSEN: safety, evidence-based practice, teamwork and collaboration and patient-centered care).
This assignment is worth a total of 100 points (10%).
Submit your completed assignment under the Assignment tab by Sunday 11:59 p.m. EST of Week 15 as directed.
1. The Course Reflection is worth 100 points (10%) and will be graded on quality of self-assessment, use of citations, use of Standard English grammar, sentence structure, and overall organization based on the required components as summarized in the directions and grading criteria/rubric.
2. Follow the directions and grading criteria closely. Any questions about your essay may be posted under the Q & A forum under the Discussions tab.
3. The length of the reflection is to be within three to six pages excluding title page and reference pages.
4. APA format is required with both a title page and reference page. Use the required components of the review as Level 1 headers (upper and lower case, centered):
Note: Introduction – Write an introduction but do not use “Introduction” as a heading in accordance with the rules put forth in the Publication manual of the American Psychological Association (2010, p. 63).
a. Course Reflection
Preparing the Reflection
The BSN Essentials (AACN, 2008) outline a number of healthcare policy and advocacy competencies for the BSN-prepared nurse. Reflect on the NUR3655 course readings, discussion threads, and applications you have completed across this course and write a reflective essay regarding the extent to which you feel you are now prepared to:
1. “Assess protective and predictive factors, including genetics, which influence the health of individuals, families, groups, communities, and populations.
2. Conduct a health history, including environmental exposure and a family history that recognizes genetic risks, to identify current and future health problems.
3. Assess health/illness beliefs, values, attitudes, and practices of individuals, families, groups, communities, and populations.
4. Use behavioral change techniques to promote health and manage illness.
5. Use evidence based practices to guide health teaching, health counseling, screening, outreach, disease and outbreak investigation, referral, and follow-up throughout the lifespan.
6. Use information and communication technologies in preventive care.
7. Collaborate with other healthcare professionals and patients to provide spiritually and culturally appropriate health promotion and disease and injury prevention interventions.
8. Assess the health, healthcare, and emergency preparedness needs of a defined population.
9. Use clinical judgment and decision-making skills in appropriate, timely nursing care during disaster, mass casualty, and other emergency situations.
10. Collaborate with others to develop an intervention plan that takes into account determinants of health, available resources, and the range of activities that contribute to health and the prevention of illness, injury, disability, and premature death.
11. Participate in clinical prevention and population focused interventions with attention to effectiveness, efficiency, cost-effectiveness, and equity.
12. Advocate for social justice, including a commitment to the health of vulnerable populations and the elimination of health disparities.
13. Use evaluation results to influence the delivery of care, deployment of resources, and to provide input into the development of policies to promote health and prevent disease.” (pp. 24-25).
American Association of Colleges of Nursing [AACN]. (2008). The essentials of baccalaureate education for professional nursing practice. Washington, DC: Author.