Devotional discussion – on ethical perspective based on your cultural
What does the Bible have to say regarding ethical practices in how one approaches doing business? In reading Romans 12:2, we are challenged to transform our minds so that God can focus us toward a good, acceptable, and perfect response to His will. Romans 12:2 states, “Do not conform to the pattern of this world but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will” (New International Version). Also, Micah 6:8 says, “He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.”
As an example, Chick-fil-A is known for its stance on operating within biblical principles. The franchise believes it should be closed on Sundays (another example of a business closing on Sunday is Kneaders). Chick-fil-A’s website states that the company believes it is entrusted to be a faithful steward in what God has given the organization as a business. The late founder, Truett Cathy, felt the business did more than just sell chicken sandwiches. His scriptural perspective still permeates every franchise even after his death.
- Review the material in the “Background Information” section above, including the specific Bible passages.
- Watch the video “God and Business at a Chick-fil-A(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9Lsd2OYa20).”
- Be sure to address the following prompts in your paper:
- Discuss your ethical perspective based on your cultural or religious background.
- Describe a situation in your professional experience when you were able to respond ethically or utilize a biblical principle to respond to the situation in doing business.
- After watching the video “God and Business at a Chick-fil-A,” how do you think Christian values impact Chick-fil-A’s operation and success?
- Your paper should be 250 words in length.