Discussion 4 | BA 606 Team Management | Campbellsville University
Communication and Team Decision Making
Part 1: Sharpening the Team Mind: Communication and Collective Intelligence
A. What are some of the possible biases and points of error that may arise in team communication systems? In addition to those cited in the opening of Chapter 6, what are some other examples of how team communication problems can lead to disaster?
B. Revisit communication failure examples in Exhibit 6-1. Identify the possible causes of communication or decision-making failure in each example, and, drawing on the information presented in the chapter, discuss measures that might have prevented problems from arising within each team’s communication system.
Part 2: Team Decision-Making: Pitfalls and Solutions
A. What are the key symptoms of groupthink? What problems and shortcomings can arise in the decision-making process as a result of groupthink?
B. Do you think that individuals or groups are better decision-makers? Justify your choice. In what situations would individuals be more effective decision-makers than groups, and in what situations would groups be better than individuals?
Use research from at least 3 academically reviewed journal articles to support your responses. No internet and other non academic articles should be used for these discussion questions. Be sure to support your work with specific citations from this week’s Learning Resources
Your initial post is due on Friday of Week 8 by 11:59pm EST, your secondary post is due on Sunday of Week 8 by 11:59pm EST. All late submissions will receive a zero grade (NO EXCEPTIONS)
Read a selection of your colleagues’ postings.
Respond to at least 3 your colleagues’ postings in one or more of the following ways:
• Ask a probing question, substantiated with additional background information, research from academically reviewed journal articles.
• Share an insight from having read your colleagues’ postings, synthesizing the information to provide new perspectives.
• Offer and support an alternative perspective using readings from the classroom or from your own research in the Campbellsville University Library
• Validate an idea with your own experience and additional research.
• Make suggestions based on additional evidence drawn from readings or after synthesizing multiple postings.
• Expand on your colleagues’ postings by providing additional insights or contrasting perspectives based on readings and evidence.
Return to this Discussion several times to read the responses to your initial posting. Note what you have learned and/or any insights you have gained as a result of the comments your colleagues made.
Important Note: You need to participate in class discussions and activities each week. Your participation is an evidence that you are attending classes in order to continue to maintain your F1 visa status. Simply logging in and do nothing is not enough to meet this requirement. Consistent absence and lack of participation will result to automatic withdrawal from the course.
Late submissions will receive a zero grade