Eng 225 week 3 discussion 2 – categories and functions of sound
Please view the video Adding Pictures and Video to Discussions and Introductions for guidance on how to integrate multimedia with your response.
Using specific examples from your chosen film, construct a discussion post of at least 200 words in which you
- Describe each of the three basic categories of sound (dialogue, sound effects, and music).
- Explain how the different categories of sound are being used in your chosen film.
- Assess the impact of sound in establishing the theme.
- How does the use of sound inform the mood of the scene, or the film overall?
- Can you identify specific sounds in your film that allow you to infer a particular genre?
- Since each category of sound may produce a range of effects, how might you characterize the effects in your film? For example, realistic and expected sound effects may have a different effect on a viewer than exaggerated or unexpected ones.
- Assess how the scene or sequence would play differently if you changed or removed a key category of sound.
You must use at least two outside sources, in any combination of embedded video clips, still photos, or scholarly sources. All sources should be documented in APA style as outlined by the Ashford Writing Center. It is suggested that you approach this post by focusing your attention on the same film you will write about in this week’s “Establishing Theme” assignment.