Impact of nursing informatics on practice
Impact of Nursing Informatics on Practice
In today’s technology-driven, fast-paced world, health care professionals are faced daily with increasing amounts of information, technology, and data that require a wide-range of skills. In an effort to cope with these increasing demands, information management technologies are being employed to improve access to a larger volume of information and to enhance the flow of information. These technologies have changed the way nurses receive, send, and apply information on medications, procedures, medical knowledge, patient data, and interventions.
For this Discussion, review the Learning Resources presented this week and consider your nursing career.
· Have you seen any events, actions, or other phenomena you would classify as nursing informatics?
· If you have not experienced a nursing informatics phenomenon, imagine such an experience and, then, answer the following questions:
1. Briefly describe one of these phenomena.
2. Would you say that the impact of this nursing informatics phenomenon has been mostly positive or mostly negative on practicing nurses, health consumers, or the nursing profession (select one group)? Why?
Be sure to include citations from your primary source articles in your Discussion, and provide the APA reference at the bottom of your response. Support your ideas or those of others with references from the professional nursing literature.
· Course Text: Hebda, T., & Czar, P. (2013). Handbook of informatics for nurses and healthcare professionals (5th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Prentice Hall.
o Chapter 1, “Informatics in the Healthcare Professions”
This chapter provides background and introductory information on informatics in nursing. It also discusses informatics competencies and factors that impact patient safety.
· Course Text: American Nurses Association. (2015). Nursing informatics: Scope and standards of practice (2nd ed.). Silver Spring, MD: Author.
o “Introduction” and ” Metastructures, Concepts, and Tools of Nursing Informatics” (pp. 1–18)
Nursing informatics is introduced and the key foundational components are discussed in these two sections of this book. The phenomenon of nurses as knowledge managers is also examined.
The 2 text books we use is highlighted and I also attached articles for references too. Thank you