Mgt 350 final exam 42 mcq’s (critical thinking strategies in
1) Programmed decisions are useful when there is no predetermined structure on which to rely.
2) Managers often ignore problems.
3) Bill Simmons is the manager of a small restaurant and must decide how much money he owes his suppliers. This is an example of a non-programmed decision.
4) In the fourth state of decision making, problem diagnosis is linked to the development of alternatives.
5) Choosing a ready-made alternative takes less time than designing a custom-made solution
6) 1.2.3 Contingency plans are best developed following the final stage of decision making—evaluating the decision.
7) One advantage of using a group for decision making is that one person dominates.
8) Discounting the future is said to partly explain governmental budget deficits and environmental destruction.
9) In decision making, it is always better to use a group than an individual.
10) Which of the following does NOT describe good plans in organizations?
11) The targets or ends the manager wants to reach are called:
12) Plans are:
13) A plan which focuses on ongoing activities and may become a more permanent policy or rule is called a(n):
14) A policy developed for the yearly graduation ceremony at Easy Town High School can be described as a
15) _____________ plans might be referred to as what-if plans.
16) Coordination refers to
17) An organization chart conveys all of the following EXCEPT:
18) The assignment of different tasks to different people or groups is the:
19) Incremental decision making occurs when managers make small decisions and move cautiously toward a bigger solution.
20) Managers often ignore problems for all of the following reasons EXCEPT:
21) Characteristics of managerial decisions include all of the following EXCEPT:
22) The state that exists when decision makers have insufficient information is:
23) Shakil works for a large contractor. Company policy requires that in hiring subcontractors, at least three bids must be received and that the lowest bid which meets specifications will be accepted. Shakil’s decisions regarding the hiring of subcontractors would be classified as:
24) Managers of Shadow Blinds are contemplating whether to open the company’s first international branch in Europe or Asia. These managers are facing a _______ decision.
25) The initial step in the decision-making process is to:
26) Once a problem is identified and properly diagnosed, the next stage in the decision- making process involves
27) Kathy has received two job offers. One is from a firm in a town that Kathy would like to live in but the other offer would pay more. Kathy is having a difficult time making a decision due to experiencing:
28) The essential characteristic of great companies, according to Collins and Porras, was their relentless focus on beating the competition.
29) Collins and Porras argue that organizations must focus on both purpose beyond profit AND pragmatic pursuit of profit.
30) A critical characteristic of success, for all the great companies studied in Built to Last, ,was a set of common values that all the companies followed.
31) A performance gap can occur when performance is good but someone realizes that it could be better.
32) The key to successful change is people.
33) When management realizes that its current practices are no longer appropriate and the company must break out of its present mold by doing things differently, this is called freezing.
34) Susan has the opportunity to either go along with her coworkers and participate in filling out inaccurate time records OR tell her manager what is happening. This is an example of:
35) People in the ____________ stage make decisions based on concrete rewards and punishments and immediate self-interest.
36) A situation, problem or opportunity in which an individual must choose among several actions that must be evaluated as morally right or wrong is called:
37). Satisficing is achieving the best possible outcome.
38). Affective conflict is differences in perspectives or judgments about issues whereas cognitive conflict is emotional and directed at other people.
39. Some experts advise that in today’s complex business significant problems should always be tackled by groups.
40. Which is the first step in the formal planning process?
41. Which of the steps in the formal planning process involves studying past events, examining current conditions, and forecasting future trends?
42. If expansion to Australia does not materialize, Widget, Inc.’s backup plan is to expand to Asia. This backup plan is an example of: