Need assistance with short discussion post
Identify global prevalence of consanguinity
Describe impact on population health risks
Discuss the cultural and ethical considerations of consanguineous unions. (Links to an external site.)
Note: Remember to check calendar or syllabus’s course summary for Response due date.
As migrants move into western societies, long-held cultural beliefs arrive with them in their new communities, and are often misunderstood. Consanguineous marriage is one such cultural practice. This social institution of marriage has been common across the globe throughout human history. Today, it’s rate varies significantly from one population to another, depending on religion, public attitude, culture, legislation, socio-economic condition and geography.
Over the past 5-10 years, the mapping of the Genome has vastly increased our knowledge of consanguinity’s heredity (autosomal-recessive) risks. In western cultures, the rate of consanguinity is very low, compared to developing countries where in certain ethnic groups, may account for more than 50% of marriages. (M. Islam. 2017. Consanguineous marriage in Oman: understanding the community awareness about congenital effects of and attitude towards consanguineous marriage.Annals of Human Biology, Vol 44(3), 273-286.)
For an overview of the health-related risks, review the following 2016 Australian public health Fact Sheet 18 | WHEN PARENTS ARE RELATED – CONSANGUINITY.pdf
Link here for Emory University Department of Human Genetics factsheet of Parents’ Reproductive options: Emory U_Reproductive Options for Carriers of Genetic Diseases_Pt flyer.pdf
Read the below 2019 review article on cultures who practice consanguineous unions:Link to this article: 2019_A review of the reproductive consequences of consanguinity.pdf(FYI when reading a scholarly article read the sections in this order:
- Title, abstract
- View tables
- Methods and findings (if you need to know the specific stats.)
Primary post: write a 400 word essay using APA discussion qualities (excellent organization, grammar, spelling, citations, introduction, body and conclusion, 3 (or more) references).
You are a PHN assigned to a district that has a large ethnic population with a high incidence of consanguineous marriages. The local community health clinic provides primary care to this population. You are planning a pre-conception genetic education class that respects the users’ rights to informed consent and privacy. The education provided must be culturally sensitive, accurate, and respectful to long-held beliefs. To be informed, you review the 2019 evidence (article linked above).
- Introduce and define Consanguinity (i.e., consanguineous marriages).
- Specify the genetic risks of consanguineous marriages.
- Identify global prevalence of consanguinity. What are the five countries with the highest incidence of consanguineous marriages ( list percentages, too)?
- Identify two (2) U.S. communities that are at risk.
- Discuss three (3) of the social/cultural beliefs that are predisposing or perpetuating factors for these consanguineous practices.
- Discuss two factors that have reduced consanguinity in some populations.
- Discuss confidentiality issues: Link to the following American Journal of Nursing website: (Links to an external site.) Discuss ethical and privacy issues you, as a PHN, must consider if/whether to disclose genetic information to
- a spouse or
- to relatives.
8. Conclude with your opinion of weighing the cultural issues and ethical obligations to inform the at-risk party of genetic risks, and, legal requirements to respect and protect the patient’s privacy.