Tools and strategies for board evaluation
Application: Tools and Strategies for Board Evaluation
Board Governance & Volunteer Management
The Assignment (2-3 pages) APA FORMAT DUE SUNDAY 5pm NEW YORK TIME
A board evaluation usually is initiated by an executive committee, personnel committee, or committee chair. An evaluation is conducted on a regular basis as determined by the board or organizational bylaws. The process and outcomes should be clearly defined prior to conducting the evaluation. It also is important to determine, in advance, how the results will be analyzed and how any changes will be implemented.
In this Application, you will explore three phrases of board evaluation. You will learn about performance targets and how they can be used to set benchmarks and measure outcomes. You then will explore the tools and strategies outlined in The High-Performance Board to evaluate board performance on important characteristics. Lastly, you will examine the transformative process of turning low-ranked performance areas into high-performance areas.
To prepare for this assignment:
- Review pp. 93-96 in the course text, Extraordinary Board Leadership. Consider how performance targets can be developed and used to improve performance of a nonprofit board. UPLOADED
- Review Chapter 8 in your course text, The High-Performance Board, and think about the performance characteristics described in the chapter. UPLOADED
- Think about what specific tools might be used to address low performance in some or all of the performance categories.
The assignment (2-3 pages):
- Briefly describe your Final Project organization.
- Using the board assessment on pp. 144-147 of your text, The High-Performance Board, evaluate your Final Project organization on each of the performance categories and describe the three lowest performance scores.
- Describe one to two specific tools and/or strategies that you might use to address each of the low scores (for a total of four to five tools or strategies) and explain why you selected each. Be specific.
Support your Application Assignment with specific references to all resources used in its preparation. You are asked to provide a reference list only for those resources not included in the Learning Resources for this course.