Training needs assessment exercise | Human Resource Management homework help
Training Needs Assessment Exercise
Instructions: Read the Grand View Grocers Corporation case.
Grand View Grocers Corporation, headquartered in Clewiston, Florida, is among the nation’s top grocery chain companies, with over $34 billion in revenue. It operates and owns approximately 1,500 grocery stores in 10 states and will be expanding operatons to Washington, D.C. in the near future.
Grand View Grocer’s Corporation’s operating strategy distinguishes it from other grocery chain companies. Each grocery store has a Training and Development Methods manager that allows decisions to be made locally, close to the client. This also makes Grand View Grocer Corporation’s service more responsive, reliable, and empathetic to its customers.
Recently, Grand View Grocers Corporation has identified a that there is an increase in the annual turnover rate for cashiers nationwide. The increase was found in newly hired cashiers, so it was determined that on-the-job training was ineffective.
Under the direction of the store manager, cashiers perform a variety of tasks, including:
· Receive payment by cash, check, credit cards, vouchers, or automatic debits.
· Issue receipts, refunds, credits, or change due to customers.
· Count money in cash drawers at the beginning of shifts to ensure that amounts are correct and that there is adequate change.
· Greet customers entering establishments.
· Maintain clean and orderly checkout areas.
· Establish or identify prices of goods, services or admission, and tabulate bills using calculators, cash registers, or optical price scanners.
· Issue cashier’s checks, money orders, mailing stamps, and redeem food stamps and coupons.
· Resolve customer complaints.
· Answer customers’ questions, and provide information on procedures or policies.
· Cash checks for customers.
· Weigh items sold by weight in order to determine prices.
· Calculate total payments received during a time period, and reconcile this with total sales.
· Compute and record totals of transactions.
· Sell lotto tickets and other items to customers.
· Keep periodic balance sheets of amounts and numbers of transactions.
· Bag, box, wrap, or gift-wrap merchandise, when needed.
· Sort, count, and wrap currency and coins.
· Process returns and exchanges.
· Request information or assistance using paging systems.
· Stock shelves, and mark prices on shelves and items, when needed.
· Compile and maintain non-monetary reports and records.
Essential cashier functions include the following:
Perform for or Working Directly with the Public — Performing for people or dealing directly with the public. This includes serving customers in restaurants and stores, and receiving clients or guests.
Establish and Maintain Interpersonal Relationships — Developing constructive and cooperative working relationships with others, and maintaining them over time.
Get Information — Observing, receiving, and otherwise obtaining information from all relevant sources.
Identify Objects, Actions, and Events — Identifying information by categorizing, estimating, recognizing differences or similarities, and detecting changes in circumstances or events.
Process Information — Compiling, coding, categorizing, calculating, tabulating, auditing, or verifying information or data.
Complete the Training Needs Assessment Exercise. Also, include a mind map with your assignment of the cashier duties.
Write a report in 900 to 1150 words which training method or combination of training methods that you would recommend for training. Then justify why you decided on your choice. Include a Mind Map diagram of the duties of a cashier (three main headings and 2 sub headings each of the main headings).
Also, include a preview and conclusion to the assignment. In the preview, introduce the assignment in an opening paragraph. The conclusion should be about points you learned from the research of the assignment.